When you are sitting at the dinner table, those familiar huge puppy eyes creep up, innocently asking for a small piece of what is on your plate. And sure, we are all guilty of giving our dogs a little treat from our own meals, but could this be dangerous?
Can dogs eat what we eat? Which human food should we avoid giving our dogs?
Here are 7 dangerous food your dog should never eat:
This is the most famous no-go item, but it’s worth mentioning the nuance here. Chocolate is unlikely to kill your dog unless they eat their body weight in chocolate. For reference, it takes 1 ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight to be concerned.
Cocoa powder is the most toxic and milk chocolate is the least toxic.
Mild chocolate poisoning can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog has consumed a lot of chocolate and starts tremoring, contact your vet immediately.
Yes, you may love a thick spread of avocado on toast but for your dog, it is perilous. The trouble is actually the same fungicidal toxin that humans can be allergic to - persin. If poisoned, your dog may suffer from vomiting and diarrhea. Any part of the avocado plant can poison them, so if you grow your own, keep your dog’s paws off it!
Xylitol (Artificial Sweetener)
Bubblegum, sweets, diet goods, toothpaste, even cereal can contain xylitol which is an artificial sweetener. Though it is safe for humans, even the smallest amounts of xylitol can be lethal to your dog. It causes your dog’s blood sugar to drop dramatically causing liver failure and seizures. If you want to avoid any unnecessary trips to the vet, don’t share your gummy bears with your dog (not that you were going to anyway!).
This is controversial but it must be discussed. There is a huge debate in the dog-owning community regarding whether you should give your dog bones to chew or eat. Some say it’s okay in certain situations, while some say it has far too many dangers. For example, cooked bones should never be given to dogs because the cooking process makes the bones brittle. These bones can splinter and break more easily, leading to choking or obstruction in the stomach.
Raw bones are less likely to break but can still pose the same danger if your dog is quite a strong chewer. Your dog may also crack their teeth on the bone enamel. In general, there are enough dangers associated with feeding dogs bones to give owners pause. Do consult with your vet to make an informed decision.
Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic are in most human cuisines, so this is why it is tricky to share food with dogs in general. Cooked, raw, or powdered onions and garlic are lethal to your dog’s red blood cells. Low red blood cell count causes anaemia. Anaemia causes lethargy, fatigue, and breathing issues over time.
Oddly specific? Yes, but consider your dog allergic to macadamia nuts. You only need a handful of nuts to make your dog very ill. If your dog has consumed macadamia nuts, they may start shaking, feel feverish, vomit, and collapse. Chocolate and macadamia cookies are therefore delicious to us but potentially fatal to your dog.
This is also a surprising one. Grapes and their dried equivalent - raisins - make dogs very unwell. In fact, they are likely one of the most dangerous food items on this entire list! A small number of grapes can cause weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, dehydration, and stomach pains. If your dog eats any grapes, contact your vet immediately.
We know it’s tough to resist sharing food with your cute doggo at home but be extra cautious. The smallest amounts of seemingly innocuous foods can land them in an animal hospital
To praise your dog, stick to chicken morsels, turkey, and commercial treats just to be safe!